How can clowns keep it cool in the summer?
Many of you ask yourselves: “Wig or no wig?”
What do you do in the summer when the temperatures top 90 degrees and the humidity is off the chart?
It may be time to update and cool down.
Let’s be real: your audience really doesn’t want to see a clown pass out from heat stroke. Once you’ve had it, it can become a lifelong issue. That’s not funny.
There are some ways to beat the heat without totally losing your fun clowny look.
Where to start: How about your wig?
- Opt for a lighter weight wig. As real people we often change our hair styles. Why not get a shorter wig for the summer? You can keep the same style but in a shorter version. shop.mooseburger.com has plenty of lightweight clown wig styles.
- Ditch your wig and wear a bigger hat! A fun hat that covers most of your hair can cool you down, shade you from the sun, and keep you colorful.
- Wear a skullcap. Yes, it does defy logic. But wearing a cotton skullcap will absorb sweat, wick it away from your scalp, and cool you down. Just ask any Ringling clown. They’ve been wearing them for decades to keep their body temp down while performing.
Keep your clown colorful
If you do decide to ditch your wig, remember to do something fun with your hair or wear a hat. Remember what I said in my article “DON’T WATER DOWN YOUR CLOWN”! If you have on a bright colorful costume, your normal hair can look dull by comparison.
A hat that was originally made larger to fit over a wig can still be worn without one! Make it fit with some tissue paper in the top to take up extra space. Don’t use a plastic bag; it will hold in the heat and make you hotter. A strip of foam inserted around the inside will also make it fit better.
How about sparkle hair spray?
Thinking outside the box so you can be cool, doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your clown character look.
Hot Weather Tips for Clowns :
- Water, Water, Water! It is crucial to stay hydrated. Hydration starts the day before a hot performance!
- Stay away from caffeine and high sugar drinks.
- And as a wise old clown told me when I first started clowning… “When you can’t do your best, take a rest!”
More Summer Clowning Advice:
- How to have the BEST parade experience EVER
- Quick & Easy & Budget-Friendly Summer Clown Costume
- 4 Ways to keep your makeup fresh in the heat
- Limber up before clowning in parades
Mooseburger Clown Arts Education has been running one of the world’s most well-rounded clown schools since 1996. Performers from all over the globe travel to Minnesota each summer for a fun and intensive clown training program. Each aspect of our clown camp is designed to meet your needs and boost your confidence as an entertainer.
Whether you want to join the circus, visit nursing homes, run your own birthday party business, paint faces, or twist balloons, there is something just for you at Mooseburger Clown Arts Camp.
Or call me toll-free to discuss your education and see if Mooseburger is the right fit for you: 800-973-6277
Liked what you saw here? Sign up for a free subscription to Mooseburger Newz by email: