This comment was sent to me recently.
Please read it carefully and take it to heart!
…in my original costume. My wig looked like someone took a bathing cap, slapped some glue on it and then pressed some yarn on that. The makeup wasn’t much better. As I recall, I was trying to emulate the faces on some clown figurines my daughters had. The important thing was that the kids we were interacting with saw past those limitations and realized that we loved being with them.
I don’t think I could have said it better! Re-read that last sentence:
“The important thing was that the kids we were interacting with saw past those limitations and realized that we loved being with them.”
In our superficial world, we are conditioned to believe that if we don’t have the perfect make-up, the best costume, or the funniest routine, than we have no business being in the spotlight.
Nothing could be further from the truth! Good clowning, by my definition, is a performance that is not only good for the audience, but good for the clown. It is a spontaneous eruption of joy, a connection of hearts where the clown puts themselves in the shoes of their audience. Through their actions, a clown teaches the world it is okay to laugh at themselves. It makes the world a better place.
So if you are ever concerned that as a clown you are not “good enough, funny enough, or experienced enough” — fear not! The true believers love you just the same because you care enough to show up!
The clown who sent me this note has since gone on to improve his skills in performance, make-up, and costume.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well! What an inspiration to us all!
Be inspired! Read these other blog posts to help boost your confidence and get you thinking:
- “You Never Know” You never know who is watching that might need a smile. You never know what dreams you may inspire.
- “Don’t Over-Think It” How to create a clown character without too much stress.
- “You Are A Gift” Feeling down? Remember, each time you put on that red nose, you’re going to make someone’s day!
- “Clown Goals” We need to set goals in order to grow. How do we do that?
- “National Clown Shortage” Where have all the clowns gone?
- “Clown: Plain Clothes Division” What do you do when your client asks for no clown makeup?