Lou Jacobs is a Clown Icon
If you need a symbol of the golden years of American circus clowning, Lou Jacobs and his collar should come to mind. His image was everywhere: cereal boxes, postage stamps, LIFE magazine, coffee mugs, posters, you name it! He and that giant collar were synonymous with the word “clown” for many decades.
When I opened Pricilla Mooseburger Originals in 1989, one of the first costume accessories I drafted was an oversized collar. Pretty soon, it was clear not everyone could wear that comical piece, so I also made two smaller versions to fit my customer’s needs.
What makes a clown collar so great is its versatility
- You can add one to practically any outfit! Have a solid color t-shirt? Add a clown collar — BAM! What was once a normal-looking guy in a blue t-shirt now looks 62% more “clowny” (actual mathematic formula may not be scientifically accurate…)
- We sew a snap to the front so you can attach any of our bow ties or long ties.
- If you don’t plan on wearing a tie, it is very simple to snip the threads to remove the snap.
- Easy Velcro opening makes it a breeze to get dressed.
- Large circumference prevents greasepaint makeup from smudging.
What’s not to love?
Know Your Clown Collars
The best-dressed clowns know how to accessorize! If a new costume isn’t in your budget right now, than a new collar and tie will freshen up your look and keep your wallet happy.
To get you to try one today, we are knocking off 50 percent! Save up to $16.50 on select styles and colors of clown collars:
Mini Collar – Perfect petite size for men or women. Closes in back.
Regular Collar – Our most popular size. Closes in back.
Lou Collar – The style that started it all! Closes in front.
Add a Tie to complete your outfit!
Look your best & funniest with these clown costume articles:
- How to turn a boring t-shirt into a clown shirt!
- Do you NEED a new costume, or just WANT one?
- 4 Reasons NOT to wear your clown costume!
- How tough are your clown pants?
- Take a closer look at clown t-shirts
- What is a “plain clothes clown”? Why should you try it?
- How to style your clown wig into braids
- Washing & styling tips for the professional Santa Claus-for-Hire
- How to take care of your clown shoes
- Why is fabric content important for your clown suit?
- How to do a “pants drop” and properly wear suspenders