How do you really make a change in your clown life? It is hard.
Well, you could resolve to just be better in a general sense. You know — promise yourself wishful thoughts? Practice more. Buy only things you will learn to use. Go to all the clown meetings. Write a new show.
…I could go on and on with this list of clown dreams.
But for each good intention, you conveniently find an equally good excuse for why you can’t make it happen. It’s like you have an angel and a devil sitting on each shoulder.
It’s easy to dream, and it is just as easy to find an excuse to not chase that dream. What’s difficult is making a realistic plan and following through with it.
(And don’t ask me why I know this! I am quite intimate with the subject.)
Clowns fear failure
It is actually kind of funny when you think of it, right? Most normal people have nightmares about being in front of a group of people and being laughed at. Our biggest fear is that we will be in front of a group of people and there will be a stone cold silence!
To get past the fear, you can hit it head on. What exactly is your fear? What is holding you back from making a change?
Write out your thoughts. It helps to see it on paper; it gives your mind time to process it. Don’t try to solve it in a few minutes. Chances are, if you’ve been building this anxiety up over a couple of years, it will take more than an afternoon to deal with it.
How do you deal with change?
- One of the most successful ways to get over performance anxiety is to practice, practice, practice. It’s not a quick and painless process; it’s not pretty nor easy. But it’s a proven method of gaining more confidence. The more natural it feels to your body, the less chance there is of your irrational emotions getting in the way of your performance.
- Ask for help from a friend or someone from your clown club. Don’t constantly apologize for burdening them; most folks will be flattered. Be gracious and sincere about your fear. Don’t act macho or manipulative, trying to trick them into helping you just because you are insecure about your abilities. Genuinely seek their advice and assistance. Who knows what great comedy bits the two of you will create? It’s a wonderful chance for a partnership, if you are honest from the beginning.
- Take notes as you make progress. Compare them to your first notes when you started. It is very affirming to see how far you have come. Sometimes all it takes to keep going is the proof that you have already made progress.
- Don’t let a set-back derail your dreams. Take up this journey knowing in advance that you will have a few hiccups. If you have a disappointing experience, don’t let it break your spirit. You knew there was a chance it might not work the first time. FAIL = First Attempt In Learning. That’s all. Just a first attempt. Now it time for attempt #2! Keep at it. If plan “A” fails, try plan “B”.
- If you go to a convention, do NOT be afraid to walk up to any of the instructors or vendors and ask them questions. That is what they are there for. Be curious! Ask questions. Start a conversation. Be willing to listen and learn. Everyone has something to teach you.
What will your adventure be?
It always makes me sad when folks tell me they had questions they wanted to ask, but just didn’t want to bother me. Go ahead and bother me. Helping people is my vocation! If I didn’t want to advise you, I wouldn’t have taught at that convention.
I want to help you become a better clown — no, wait — the best clown you can be. No question is too silly or too stupid or too basic. Everyone is a beginner at something. If we were all experts, there would be no reason for a convention at all!
So what will your next great adventure be? It’s never too late to begin. Start somewhere and don’t stop.
What change will you make this week?
How will you improve your clowning?
The perfect place to face your fear
Mooseburger Clown Arts Camp is a “clown boot camp” of sorts, but it also is the kind of environment to nurture your creative side and offer a safe place to try new things. It is the perfect place to tackle your fear head-on.
Our staff meet you at your experience level and challenge you to push yourself. They want to know what your goals are, and they want to help you reach them. Since 1996 we have been using our tried-and-true methods to not only teach you the classic art of clowning, but to inspire the most valuable gift any clown could ask for: CONFIDENCE.
Why not check it out? Visit www.mooseburger.com/moosecamp and see what we have to offer.
Apply for one of the $350 scholarships we offer. What have you go to lose?? Go on, be fearless. >> CLICK HERE to download an application.
Read more inspiring articles from Pricilla Mooseburger:
- “10 Choices You’ll Regret” This list is a MUST-READ for all clowns!
- “You Never Know” You never know who is watching that might need a smile. You never know what dreams you may inspire.
- “Don’t Over-Think It” How to create a clown character without too much stress.
- “You Are A Gift” Feeling down? Remember, each time you put on that red nose, you’re going to make someone’s day!
- “National Clown Shortage” Where have all the clowns gone?
- “The Purpose of a Clown” What are we on the Earth for?
- “What Keeps a Clown Club Thriving?” The answer might surprise you!
- “Are You Funny Enough?” What is the most important thing about being a clown?
- “Why Clowns Matter” How to respond to “I Hate Clowns” remarks
Liked what you saw here? Sign up for a free subscription to Mooseburger Newz by email:
Mooseburger Clown Arts Education has been running one of the world’s most well-rounded clown schools since 1996. Performers from all over the globe travel to Minnesota each summer for a fun and intensive clown training program. Each aspect of our clown camp is designed to meet your needs and boost your confidence as an entertainer.
Whether you want to join the circus, visit nursing homes, run your own birthday party business, paint faces, or twist balloons, there is something just for you at Mooseburger Clown Arts Camp.
Or call me toll-free to discuss your education and see if Mooseburger is the right fit for you: 800-973-6277